Monday, March 29, 2010

One thought I've had recently that has reoccured in some things I've seen/read (books, movies, media, etc) is one of the main themes of Atlas Shrugged. Its the concept that another's need obligates your action. Another way to put it is that the actions of others can be your fault if you could act to stop it, but don't. One example is if someone puts a gun to your best friend's head and says, "If you don't give me your money, I will pull the trigger." And if you don't, the previous stated logic implies that you are responsible for your friend's death. Another situation: If you are driving along and there is a homeless man on the side of the road with no food and you drive by and don't give them food or money to get food, it is your fault that they are starving. This is a lie of Satan that keeps people debilitated with undeserved guilt and enables those who would exploit the kindness of others. A.k.a. Moochers. This can be extended further to real life situations. Right now there is a national healthcare bill being greatly discussed. One of the main tenants of the bill is that everyone has the right to health care. This implies that someone who can is OBLIGATED to provide it for them. And if they don't, they hold the guilt of the sick person on their shoulders. This is a lie and violates one of the most basic human rights to self-determination of actions. The choice of inaction should never be illegal where no compact for action has been voluntarily entered into.
This does not mean that we should not voluntarily help those in need. But voluntary choice is necessary, and compulsion is wrong. That is all.

4 comments:

  1. Hollis, glad to see someone else posting. This is an easily confused topic. We all want to be compassionate and we teach each other that we ought to care for and about each other, but as you said, the key thing is voluntary action. The more important principle is not to compelle or coerse others. Satan's plan was to force everyone to to follow God's law, and it was rejected in favor of a plan in which Jesus would allow us to act on our own, sometimes making mistakes, and then sacrifice himself to allow us to repent. A just law will prevent individuals from infringing upon the rights of others, but there are no rights which require another to act on your behalf. That would be a contract, which requires action from 2 parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ammon. That was very well put and concise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, brothers.
    (posted just so you'll know I'm following along.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An experience with the topic, though not initially on the healthcare bill--When I was in seminary, I can't remember which year, one of my classmates committed suicide. He went to a different school from me (which makes me think it must have been 9th grade when I was still in Jr. High), was in a different ward, and didn't come to seminary regularly. When he did come, I remember smiling at and talking to him sometimes. He never seemed depressed or lonely that I could discern. And other than that I didn't have any contact with him. I really hardly knew him.

    They had a grief councilor come and talk to our class the day after it happened. He said that some of us may be feeling guilty, wondering if there was anything we could have or should have done, that maybe if we had been a better friend, or paid more attention we could have prevented it. But then the next thing he said shocked me. He told us, Yes. It is your fault a little bit. Perhaps it was only pride, but I was very upset by this. That someone who didn't know us personally or any specific circumstances was blaming me for the actions of someone I hardly knew. I don't know what he meant by that comment, and maybe I took it the wrong way, but it did not set well with me, at least as it was applied to me.

    Perhaps I would have felt differently if I had grown up with him or even saw him every day, but I actually wasn't grieving myself or feeling any guilt at all. I was sad for those who were mourning, but I wasn't mourning myself.

    So, I think I have just been carrying that around for a long time, and I actually think I need to humble myself and forgive that grief councilor for saying something that was not true (and somehow seek forgiveness for taking offense). But it was very cleansing to have the concept brought up so I could talk through it with myself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete