Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Quick Political Thought

The American system of Government which not only allows for discent, but really relies on it, is the thing that makes this nation great. If something is a good idea, it can be heard and tried. If it is a bad idea, those who oppose can voice that and bring about change. I read a New York Times article recently about various states passing various laws which challenge, or even blatantly oppose various Federal regualtions, (undoubtedly leading to years of litigation and millions of dollars spent{wasted?}). It was very interesting. Strong, independant states make this the greatest nation in the world. Maybe not the most efficient...but there is always a price to pay for greatness.

I would much rather see our Civil Wars carried out in the courtroom than on the battlefield.

~A

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Though I am glad we do not have a powerless Federal government like the Confederation that this nation started out as, I am extremely glad that, at least on paper, state rights on most issues supercede the fedral government. I look forward to seeing that brought to bear on issues that seem to be coming to a head in the near future. Not that I am glad of calamity, but it is good to see the process of peaceful, sustainable government in action.

    A thought just now--I wonder if the constitution "hanging by a thread" will be the thread of state sovereignty on issues not specifically delegated to the Federal government.

    ReplyDelete